How Oral Surgery Can Save Your Smile
All dentists are not the same. Some specialize in oral surgery, which includes advanced surgical procedures for serious dental problems. See how oral surgery can improve how you look and feel.
What Is Oral Surgery?
Even though oral and maxillofacial surgery (OMS) sounds slightly scary, this is simply the dental name for any surgical or cosmetic procedure that restores or repairs a serious concern with the mouth, jaw, facial structure, and neck. Today, most oral surgery is cosmetic, ranging from reconstructing faces after accidents to elective procedures that aesthetically improve a person’s appearance. There are also many surgical procedures that treat problems with dental function.
What Can Oral Surgeons Improve?
Oral surgeons are the dental specialists that perform oral and maxillofacial surgery. If you have a dental problem that demands specialized care, your dentist in Atlanta will refer you to one of these oral surgeons who have the special skills to provide the advanced and affordable dental care you need. If cost is a concern, you’ll need to ask your dentist in Atlanta to recommend an oral surgeon that offers affordable dental care options. Oral surgeons perform a wide range of procedures, including:
- Reconstructing faces damaged by disease or injury
- Performing elective cosmetic surgeries of the face, jaws and neck
- Removing impacted and badly damaged teeth
- Replacing lost teeth with dental implants
- Repairing jaw misalignment
- Easing jaw pain
- Restoring jaws with bone grafts
- Correcting cleft palates
- Removing tumors affecting the oral and facial area
How Are Oral Surgeons Trained?
It’s not easy to become an oral surgeon. All oral surgeons must receive extensive training to learn the specialized skills required to repair oral and maxillofacial problems. Their education includes:
- Four years of dental school to learn general dentistry and earn a DDS or DMD degree
- Four years of a hospital-based residency program to train with future anesthesiologists, general surgeons, plastic surgeons, emergency physicians, and internists
- Optional two years of training in an integrated OMS/MD program for a medical degree
- Additional fellowship programs for training in advanced oral surgical treatments and techniques
- Continued education to remain up-to-date on the latest surgical developments
If you ever experience a problem that demands the care of oral surgeons, be assured that you’ll be in expert dental hands.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Atlanta, call Dental One Associates of Toco Hills today at (404) 410-7841 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Atlanta. With 8 affiliated practices throughout Georgia, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates of Toco Hills, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates of Toco Hills.